Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fungi




I took a walk in the woods this morning and the recent wet spell we've had has sprouted some amazing mushrooms.





During college I found plant biology painfully boring but the mushrooms.... the colors, the strange reproductive cycles, their romantic ephemerality...




A mycology course (maybe a medical mycology elective?) and a taxonomy course are definitely on my bucket list. I so wished that I could identify the different species on my hike today. Is it really nerdy that I wish I were a fungi taxonomist?






Beatrix Potter, the creator of Peter Rabbit, was also a bright naturalist. She spent years studying fungi reproduction and illustrating mushrooms in England. Her scientific drawings are stilled used by mycologists to identify different species.

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely nerdy to want to be a fungi taxonomist, but there's nothing wrong at all about being nerdy. I choose to fully embrace all my own nerdiness.

    ReplyDelete